5 Common Causes of Motorcycle AccidentsMarch 26th, 2015 by 1-800-THE-LAW2
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) in 2013 there were 4,668 fatalities and 88,000 injuries in motorcycle accidents. Many of these accidents, injuries and fatalities could have been prevented, but it’s important to first understand the cause of motorcycle accidents, in order to take precautionary measures.
5 Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycles and cars share the same roads, reach the same speeds, and often times can present a threat to one another. Motorcycles do not offer the same protection that a car does and because of this traffic accidents could result in severe injuries, and fatalities. To reduce the severity of injuries riders need to wear the proper safety gear such as helmets and protective clothing. Riders should be aware of their surroundings at all times. It is also important for riders to be aware of common motorcycle accident causes. Take a look at these common accidents from RideApart.
- A car turns left in front of you
- A car changes lanes into you
- A car hits you from behind
- A car opened its door
- Wet weather
Motorcycle Accidents: Drinking and Riding
Drinking and riding is extremely dangerous. The NHTSA states that one in four motorcycle fatalities involved an intoxicated motorcyclist in 2013. Stay safe, don’t ride a motorcycle after you have been drinking.
What to do After a Motorcycle Accident
- Call the police, you will need a police report
- Seek medical attention right away
- Take down contact and vehicle information of anyone involved
- Document the accident
- Get your motorcycle inspected and repaired
- Make note of all financial expenses
- Notify your insurance company of the accident
- Call 1-800-380-8080 to speak with a 1-800-THE-LAW2 motorcycle accident lawyer
In the event of a motorcycle accident, call 1-800-380-8080 to speak with an experienced 1-800-THE-LAW2 motorcycle accident lawyer. You could get compensation for: medical care, motorcycle repairs, lost wages, short and long-term disability, pain and suffering. It is risk free, you get paid or you don’t pay at all! Calling 1-800-380-8080 is easy and our helpful representatives are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week in English and Spanish.
- Insurance Information Institute. Motorcycle Crashes. Retrieved March 14, 2015.
- NHTSA. 2013 Motor Vehicle Crashes: Overview. Retrieved March 14, 2015.
- RideApart. 10 Common Motorcycle Accidents and How to Avoid Them. Retrieved March 13, 2015.