5 Personal Qualities to Look for in a LawyerMay 16th, 2013 by 1800thelaw2
With over 1 million active lawyers in the United States, choosing a lawyer can feel daunting. The solution is easy. Call 1-800-THE-LAW2. We take the guesswork out of finding a credible lawyer who is professional and has experience and a history of success with your type of case. In addition to a good reputation, professionalism, solid experience and a successful record, there are personal qualities to look for in a lawyer. Here are 5 qualities that clients love most about the lawyers at 1-800-THE-LAW2:
- Respectful. Your lawyer should always treat you with respect; a condescending or dismissive attitude is not acceptable. Although you may not be an expert in law, it’s your lawyer’s responsibility to counsel you on the laws that apply to your case; to advise you of your options under the law; and to recommend strategies that have the greatest likelihood of reaching your goals.
- Attentive. Although your lawyer is probably juggling several cases at any given time, he or she should return your phone calls in a timely manner. When you have appointments with your lawyer, that time should be dedicated to answering your questions, updating you on the status of your claim and any other matter that applies to your case. If your lawyer is constantly attending to other matters while you’re talking, address it sooner rather than later.
- Mindful. If you have special financial, time or personal considerations that may affect your case, be upfront with your attorney. Once those considerations are known, your lawyer should be mindful of them.
- Patient. As busy as your lawyer is, it’s important to make sure that you understand everything that is going on with your case. That means having the patience to help you understand the legal system, and clarifying any matter that is confusing to you. This includes explaining legalese, or legal jargon, in a clear and understandable way.
- Sympathetic. When you’re injured or have lost a loved one in an accident, the last thing you need is a lawyer who is unsympathetic and uncaring. Sympathizing with the physical discomfort, financial distress, or emotional devastation you’re going through not only creates an atmosphere of trust and confidence, but it can also be an asset in your case. The more your lawyer understands your situation, the better he or she can guide you to make the best decisions for you.
Whether you were hurt in a car accident, injured on the job, or have developed serious health conditions because of a prescription drug, 1-800-THE-LAW2 can help you find the recommended experience and the qualities to look for in a lawyer. Call us anytime – it won’t cost you a dime to call, or a dollar out of your own pocket to get quality legal representation.