Advice on Hiring a Lawyer for Personal Injury
Choosing the right attorney to handle your personal injury case may cause additional anxiety during a tense time. Lawyers make a significant difference on the outcome of your case because they are the ones who will negotiate to get you the best possible outcome. Here is some advice on hiring a lawyer for personal injury cases if you are new to the process:
- Choose an experienced attorney who is familiar with how the system works, knows where to look for weaknesses, and can investigate the claim effectively. Putting your claim in the hands of an inexperienced attorney may be a headache in the long run.
- Choose a lawyer who specializes in personal injury law. This practice area is extremely specific when it comes to rules, regulations, statute of limitations, etc. The majority of personal injury lawsuits are settled before trial, and a lawyer who is skilled in negotiations will know how to deal with lowball offers. Do not risk quality representation by putting your case in the hands of an attorney who has limited personal injury knowledge.
- Your attorney’s reputation is important in resolving your case because insurance companies and opposing attorneys who have had previous dealings with him or her are more likely to offer a fair settlement within a reasonable timeframe.
- Select someone who has trial experience – they will not be afraid to turn down bad settlements just because they don’t want to go to court. Many attorneys can get comfortable staying out of the courtroom and this has negative consequences for their clients who may not end up with the strongest deals.
- Opt for an attorney who is willing to devote resources into your case, especially if you have a serious personal injury claim. Prepping for cases can be expensive because of the need to hire experts to testify on your behalf, as well as investigators who follow every lead that can prove your claim.
- Be wary of attorneys that will not allow you to talk with past clients – this may be an indication that they have not gotten satisfactory results in a number of cases.
- Hire a personal injury attorney who has a strong record in winning cases – both in and out of the courtroom. Ask for specific numbers because you want to work with someone you can trust will fight hard for your best interests.
It is worth spending the time to meet with various attorneys. Compare their styles, attitude, and success rate to find the perfect fit for your case.