What to Do If You’re Involved in an Auto Accident with an Uninsured Motorist
Getting into a car accident is an already stressful situation, but learning the at fault motorist is uninsured can only make the situation worse. Instead of the at fault motorists insurance policy paying for your medical, vehicle, and replacement car expenses, the responsibility falls on, you, the victim. It happens more often than people think, in fact 1 in 7 at fault motorists in a collision were uninsured.
In 2013 there were 250 million licensed motorists in the United States, and 16.1 percent of those motorists were uninsured. It is essential to be prepared for uninsured motorists before a car accident happens.
Steps to Take If You Are in an Accident with an Uninsured Motorist
If you were hit by an uninsured motorist, it is important to remember these simple steps.
- Call the police immediately, document, and take pictures of the accident
- Exchange contact information, and also get witness contact information
- Contact your insurance company, talk to them about uninsured motorist coverage
- After the incident: Take care of yourself if you have bodily injuries, and repair your car
- Contact a car accident lawyer from 1-800-THE-LAW2 for a FREE consultation. A car accident lawyer can help you file a claim, protect your rights and help you navigate the legal process. Call 1-800-THE-LAW2 to get started today
What Are Your Options for Future Protection Against Uninsured Motorists?
With uninsured motorists being involved in 14 percent of accidents, it is necessary to plan ahead. Insurance companies offer a variety of plans to protect yourself against uninsured motorists, so you aren’t stuck paying medical bills, worrying about lost wages, and vehicle repair or the replacement of your car. Many states require insurance companies to bundle your car insurance with uninsured motorist coverage. A few examples of coverage that can protect you are: uninsured motorist coverage, collision coverage, and rental replacement car coverage. Talk to your insurance company to find out whether you are protected or not against uninsured motorists. Don’t get stuck paying for your own compensation.
If you’ve been in a car accident with an uninsured motorist and you are the victim, an experienced car accident lawyer from 1-800-THE-LAW2 can maximize your compensation. Save yourself the stress, time and money while a 1-800-THE-LAW2 lawyer handles your claim. Call 1-800-THE-LAW2 today to get your expenses paid, with no out-of-pocket cost! We’re open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and have intake specialists ready to help you in English and Spanish.
1) Statistics Brain. Uninsured Motorist Statistics. Retrieved November 18 2014.
2) Esurance. Five-Step Guide to Handling an Accident with an Uninsured Driver. Retrieved November 18 2014.
3) Council of Better Business Bureaus. Victims Pay the Price for Uninsured Drivers: Even though it’s against the law, about 1 in 7 at-fault drivers are uninsured. Retrieved November 18 2014.
4) Statista. Total number of licensed drivers in the U.S in 2012, by state. Retrieved November 18 2014.