What to Do If You Get into a Bicycle AccidentJanuary 2nd, 2015 by 1-800-THE-LAW2
Bicycle accidents can be stressful situations, and the injuries may be severe making it difficult for you to remain calm and think clearly. Knowing what to do before a bicycle accident happens is the key to handling the accident correctly and ensuring fair compensation for your injuries and damaged property.
At the Scene of a Bicycle Accident
The best time to gather evidence is at the scene of the accident. Insurance companies need convincing evidence to get an idea of what happened. When gathering evidence, it is best to get as much information as possible and follow these helpful tips:
- Remain calm
- Check for injuries: keep in mind some injuries may not be apparent right away
- Call the police
- Gather information: insurance information, names of anyone involved in the accident, addresses, phone numbers, car details, license plate numbers, witness information, accident details
- Take photos: bicycle damage, car damage, accident layout
After a Bicycle Accident
The accident does not end at the scene, what you do after the bicycle accident is just as important as what you do at the scene.
- Seek medical attention
- Document the accident in detail
- Pick up your copy of the police report
- Get your bicycle inspected and repaired
- Note all expenses
- Notify your insurance company of the accident
- Call 1-800-THE-LAW2 to speak with a lawyer
Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents
Bicycle accidents are on the rise, making it important to be aware of actions which are common factors of bicycle accidents. According to the California Highway Patrol, these are the most common causes of bicycle accidents:
- Bicycle rider using the wrong side of the road
- Driver making unsafe left or right turn
- Bicyclist riding from driveway or sidewalk into path of car
- Driver opening door as bicycle passes
- Bicycle rider weaving, leaving edge of road or bike lane
- Bicyclist making unsafe left turn
- Bicycle without headlight or reflectors
Knowing how to be safe on the roads can help you avoid injuries, read these safety tips from 1-800-THE-LAW2.
If you were injured while bike riding a bike accident lawyer from 1-800-THE-LAW2 could help you get the compensation you deserve. Compensation you may receive includes: expense reimbursement for medical treatment, property damage and rehabilitation benefits. It is risk free, you get paid or you don’t pay at all! Calling 1-800-380-8080 is easy and our helpful representatives are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Get your life back on track with the help of a 1-800-THE-LAW2 bike accident lawyer.