Rain Related Car Accidents: Causes and Tips
Rain is Good for Droughts, but Bad for Drivers
During the years long drought Californians have enjoyed perfect driving conditions. A lack of rain means clear visibility and avoiding wet and slippery roads. The recent downpours have helped ease the drought, but brought increased traffic accidents. Just before the Christmas Holiday, nearly 200 crashes were reported in Los Angeles County freeways as a result of the rain. We’re taking a look at the causes and tips for avoiding rain related car accidents.
The first few hours of rain are the most dangerous due to oils in the roadways and worsened by drivers who:
- Fail to drive slower
- Don’t keep a safe distance
- Brake suddenly
- Don’t keep their eyes on the road
- Drive through puddles
Rain Related Car Accidents
Wet weather often causes drivers to become either overly cautious and drive much too slow, or develop road rage from having to drive more carefully and at slower speeds. These actions coupled with slicker roads and poor visibility result in increased traffic accidents.
According to the U.S. Department of Transportation Federal Highway Administration rain causes 573, 784 crashes, 228, 196 injuries and 2,732 deaths. A new analysis found that rain causes more driving fatalities than snow in 39 of the 50 states including California which makes it the deadliest driving hazard.
Being prepared and following these tips could help you avoid a rain-related car accident:
- Get your car ready: tire tread and pressure are essential, functioning windshield wipers, working headlights and tail lights
- Take your time: leave earlier than you typically would to give yourself time to reach your destination safely
- Turn on your lights: headlights could help boost visibility and some states require the use of headlights when windshield wipers are in use
- Giver other vehicles more space: with wet and slick roadways friction is reduced and you’ll need more time to brake, leave a safe space between yourself and the car in front of you
Making these changes could mean the difference between safe travels and rain-related car accident. Finding the right representation after an accident could mean the difference between a fair compensation and receiving a low settlement. Don’t settle for less after an accident, get the settlement you deserve with the help of an experienced 1-800-THE-LAW2 auto accident lawyer.