Top Causes and Locations of San Francisco Pedestrian AccidentsMay 14th, 2015 by 1-800-THE-LAW2
Top 3 Causes of San Francisco Pedestrian Accidents
According to the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency (SFMTA) in 2011, San Francisco saw about 861 pedestrian accidents which resulted in injuries or fatalities. Motorists were at fault 68 percent of the time, and pedestrians were at fault 32 percent of the time. These are the top 3 causes of San Francisco pedestrian accidents when the motorist was at fault:
- Failure to Yield at a Crosswalk: 40 percent of all collisions occurred when the driver failed to yield to a pedestrian at a crosswalk. This figure includes drivers who were making left turns, right turns, or going through crosswalks without waiting for pedestrians to cross safely.
- Speed: 7 percent of all pedestrian/vehicle collisions were a result of the drivers’ speed.
- Unsafe Maneuver: 5 percent of San Francisco pedestrian accidents were caused by the driver making an unsafe maneuver.
Dangerous Locations for Pedestrians
As a pedestrian on the busy San Francisco streets, it’s important to know where these accidents are happening. SFMTA states that these intersections and streets had the most pedestrian accidents in 2011.
- Golden Gate Ave and Jones Street: 9 Collisions
- 6th Street and Howard Street: 8 Collisions
- 7th Street and Mission Street: 7 Collisions
- 6th and Market Streets: 4 Collisions
Pedestrians should always look both ways before crossing, even if you believe they have the right-of-way. By being aware of your surroundings, you could protect yourself against distracted or dangerous drivers.
Victim of a San Francisco Pedestrian Accident? Call 1-800-380-8080.
If you are a victim of a pedestrian accident in San Francisco, call 1-800-THE-LAW2. You will be connected with one of our experienced 1-800-THE-LAW2 pedestrian accident lawyers, for free! A lawyer could help you receive compensation for medical bills, auto body shop bills, wrongful death of a family member, disability benefits, and pain and suffering. Our helpful representatives are available to take your call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Call 1-800-380-8080 today for legal help.
San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency. 2010-2011 San Francisco Collisions Report. Retrieved May 8th, 2015.