Need a Los Angeles Slip and Fall Lawyer? 5 Steps to Take
A Los Angeles Slip and Fall Lawyer Can Help!
Most slip and falls happen in a store and other public places, but they also frequently occur in someone’s home. If you experience a slip, trip or fall in someone’s home, you may have the right to sue and recover damages — if the owner of the home created unsafe conditions.
Slip and fall cases can become complicated and for this reason it is important to consult with a Los Angeles slip and fall lawyer as soon as possible after your accident. In slip and fall cases, you shoulder the burden of proof, meaning you have to prove that there was negligence on behalf of the owner that ultimately led to your injury. You will also be responsible for proving damages. This means that you must prove you suffered some type of harm that you can be compensated for. The more severe your injuries the more monetary compensation you may be awarded to cover medical bills, pain and suffering or emotional distress. A lawyer from 1-800-THE-LAW2 can help you sort through your case to establish the proof of negligence and damages as well as determine whether you are eligible for medical bill, pain and suffering and emotional distress compensation.
Aside from proving negligence and damages, the compensation you’re awarded may be affected if you contributed to the accident through your own negligence. If you were partially at fault for the fall, you may still be eligible for compensation, but it will be reduced by the percentage of responsibility that is yours.
5 Steps You Should Take After a Slip and Fall
These are 5 things you should do immediately after your accident to make your consultation with a lawyer a smoother process.
- Determine the cause of your fall. The most important thing to do after a slip, trip or fall is to determine the cause of the accident. Without a cause, there is no way to prove negligence, which is essential to your case. Some causes of these types of accidents include: torn carpeting, wet surfaces, insufficient lighting, a staircase without handrails, and many other things.
- Take care of yourself. Although a store manager or property owner claims that they will take care of everything, you can’t take their word for it. A store manager may mean well, but ultimately the decision to take responsibility for your accident is not his. Either an insurance company or someone higher up in the company will make the decision and if you’re not prepared, don’t have the proper evidence to support your claim and haven’t consulted a lawyer, they are likely to deny it.
- Document the accident. Take photos, if possible, and keep notes of where your fall happened. You also want to take down any witness information. In your accident notes you should keep track of who is saying what, as it’s easy for someone to later say they have forgotten a detail or deny a statement they previously made.
- Get medical care. This may seem like something that goes without saying, but some injuries may not be apparent right away. Getting immediate medical care will always help your case.
- Report the slip and fall accident to the owner of the property. You must tell the landowner or person managing the property. It’s important to notify these people of what happened, who saw it and any other details you can recall regarding the accident. If you are unable to do so, have someone with you do it or call the landowner as soon as possible.
If you were injured, a Los Angeles Slip and Fall Lawyer can help. Call 1-800-380-8080 today!
Speak with a Los Angeles slip and fall lawyer from 1-800-THE-LAW2 today to discuss the possibility of getting compensation for your injuries and emotional distress. The consultation is free and confidential, and with 1-800-THE-LAW2 either you get paid or you don’t pay at all!