Walking in LA: Dangerous for Pedestrians?December 26th, 2012 by 1800thelaw2
LA isn’t really a city that’s made for walking. A recent study by the University of Michigan’s Transportation Research Institute revealed one reason why: It’s dangerous.
According to the study, Los Angeles, the 13th largest metropolitan area in the world, is home to a third of all pedestrian traffic fatalities – almost triple the national average. Pedestrian accidents in Los Angeles happen most frequently at intersections and at low speeds (at 35 mph or slower).
Pedestrian accidents can be dangerous and even fatal. If you’re injured in a pedestrian accident, treat it like you would a car accident:
- Call the police. A proper police report is an integral part of a pedestrian accident case. Make sure to state the facts and avoid admitting fault. What you say to the police could be used against you.
- Exchange information. Take down the contact and insurance information of all drivers involved. If there are witnesses, ask for their contact information, too.
- Take pictures. Put your camera phone to use! If you’re able to walk around, take pictures of where you were walking, traffic lights, crosswalks and the position of the vehicle that hit you.
- See a doctor. Get professional medical care right away. If you wait too long to get treatment, your claim could be reduced or denied.
- Watch what you say to insurance representatives. Do not make any statements to an insurance adjuster without contacting your pedestrian accident lawyer first.
- Call a pedestrian accident lawyer. Insurance companies have one goal: to settle claims for the least amount as quickly as possible. The pedestrian accident lawyers at 1-800-THE-LAW2 have the experience and resources to get you the compensation you deserve.There’s a lot at stake in a pedestrian accident: your health, your ability to work, and your ability to pay the bills. Don’t risk it by choosing just any pedestrian accident lawyer. Call 1-800-THE-LAW2 to find a pedestrian accident lawyer who can get you the results you deserve. 1-800-380-8080.