What to Bring to Your Free Consultation With a Car Accident Lawyer | 1-800-THE-LAW2
This article covers what to bring to and how to prepare for a car accident lawyer free consultation.
If you have injuries from a car accident, chances are you’re feeling a bit confused, and possibly overwhelmed by the situation. After all, a serious collision can cause injuries that are not only going to impact your day-to-day life, but that also have an impact on your ability to earn an income. To top it off, navigating through insurance hurdles, paperwork organization, and possible settlement negotiations can be a lot for someone trying to heal and recover after an accident.
An attorney can help you move forward. They can advocate on your behalf, do all the “dirty work,” and let you focus on your own healing. Ready to get connected? Call 1-800-THE-LAW2 for a free consultation with an experienced car accident lawyer.
This article can help you to answer these questions:
- What should I expect at a free consultation with an accident lawyer?
- What is included in a free consultation with a lawyer?
- Are lawyer consultations confidential?
- What questions should I ask at an initial lawyer consultation?
- Which documents should I bring with me to the initial consultation?
- Can lawyers give free legal advice during the consultation?
What Should I Expect at a Free Consultation With an Accident Lawyer?
The initial attorney consultation can either be in person or over the phone. We find that phone consultations can be an excellent starting point, as it lets you familiarize yourself with how the attorney is likely to communicate with you over the course of representation. After all, much of the communication will occur over a distance. So, seeing how well your accident lawyer communicates over-the-phone is crucial.
What Is Included in a Free Consultation With a Lawyer?
During the consultation, the attorney will listen to your story and will ask lots of clarifying questions. Provide all the necessary details to fully explain the incident. After hearing your story and asking questions, the attorney will evaluate your claim and let you know if they will be able to assist you. They may even provide a projected estimate of how much the case is worth. Attorneys are not superheroes. If they promise you all sorts of guarantees, that often means they are not reputable.
Are Lawyer Consultations Confidential?
Consultations are fully confidential, so nothing you say in the meeting will leave the conversation. You can and should be completely honest.
What Questions Should I Ask at a Free Consultation With a Car Accident Lawyer?
A free consultation provides you with an opportunity to interview a potential lawyer, too. Ask lots of questions, you want to feel comfortable with your choice. Following is a list of examples of questions to ask the accident attorney during your free initial legal consultation.
Some Questions to Ask a Potential Car Accident Attorney
- Do you specialize in car accidents? What do you specialize in?
- How long have you been an attorney?
- Where did you study?
- How many cases like mine have you handled?
- What are the results you’ve had with similar cases?
- How long will it take to resolve my case?
- How much could I recover in compensation?
- What is your contingency fee arrangement like?
Be prepared and ready with a list of questions you would like to ask a prospective lawyer. Once you have answers, you can evaluate if this attorney is the right fit for you and your specific situation.
What Should I Bring With Me to a Free Car Accident Consultation?
It’s important to be prepared, meaning: know what to bring and have all pertinent documents and information an attorney will need to begin working on your case. If you aren’t prepared and need to know what to do to help your case, that’s okay too. Your attorney will let you know what they need after the consultation.
If you can get the documentation you need beforehand, it makes the consultation more detailed and more useful.
What Should I Take to a Lawyer?
If you can, here is a list of the documentation and items that you should bring with you to a free consultation:
- Identification such as driver’s license and social security card.
- Insurance information including your insurance card, agent contact information, insurance policy, and any documentation you have received from your insurance company.
- A police report from the scene of the accident is necessary as it may help the attorney identify who was at fault for the accident. You should have been provided a copy of the report from the police, but if you were not given a copy, contact the police department that filed the report.
- Doctors’ bills, receipts, and reports will help the lawyer assess the extent of injury, damages, pain, and suffering caused by the accident.
- Other driver’s information, such as contact information, driver’s license, and insurance information.
- Witness statements and/or witness contact information is pertinent and will help to determine fault.
- Estimates or bills for vehicle repairs which will help the attorney assess the amount of property damage caused by the accident.
- Proof of wage loss, including a list of missed days or hours of work, and any relevant pay stubs or a W-2.
- Photos of the accident, of damage to vehicles, and of injuries will be helpful to assess the property damage and personal injury.
- Camera footage if available. Sometimes, people video at the scene of an accident, or security cameras may capture an incident.
- Written summary of what happened – take some time to jot down details of what you remember.
- List of pertinent questions for the attorney.
- Any emails or text messages relating to the accident.
Can Lawyers Give Free Legal Advice During the Consultation?
Possibly. Something to take notes with is on our list of top items to bring to your initial legal consultation. It is wise to take notes during your meeting, the attorney may offer free legal advice and recommendations. Being prepared with the correct documentation at your free consultation helps things go smoothly, and it sets your legal case up for success. Not only will the initial consultation alleviate the stress and anxiety involved in managing the aftermath of a car accident, but if you end up hiring the attorney you meet, you will be on your way to living your best life again, mentally, physically, and financially.
Find a Car Accident Lawyer to Help Your Case
If you are the victim of a traumatic vehicle collision and have injuries or losses due to someone else’s negligence while driving, it is wise to seek the counsel of a caring, experienced car accident attorney.