Personal Injury Lawsuit Statistics; What are the Odds of Winning Your Case?

Tarun Sridharan Legal Editor & Attorney Contributor Read Time: 3 minutes

Personal Injury Lawsuit Statistics; What are the Odds of Winning Your Case?

According to numbers by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, approximately six million car collisions occur annually in the U.S. – that’s one every ten seconds! The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention also estimates five million dog bites and 17,000 slip and fall accidents per year. If you have been the victim of personal injury accidents such as these you may want to file a personal injury lawsuit.

Before making your decision, consider these three factors. First, was there negligence by someone other than you? Second, there has to be damage or injuries you sustained as a result of that negligence, and finally, is there a person or company that can pay for your damages?

With the help of an experienced attorney, you can put together the strongest case possible to cover your medical bills, lost wages, and fixes to your property.

Settlement vs. Trial

US Government statistics show that about 5% of personal injury cases go to trial. The other 95% are settled pretrial. Many experts say that 90 percent of cases that do go to trial end up losing. And for cases that go to trial and win, a trial judge is likely to grant more compensation compared to a jury.

These numbers may be shocking to you, and even cause you to question whether a lawsuit is worth it. One of the biggest factors for so many pre-trial settlements is due to the fact that a trial can drag out over the course of several years. In that timeframe, personal injury victims may experience the loss of a job and dire financial consequences due to all the bills they have to pay.

Another factor that causes delays, both for pre-trial and settlement purposes, is that of resources. In criminal cases, multiple detectives are typically assigned to investigate a case. In personal injury instances, one investigator is usually assigned to the case. The injuries, the accident itself, witness statements, and the circumstances that caused the accident are all areas that must be investigated. It may take up to six months or more to get all this work done.

In situations where victims need a settlement as soon as possible for mounting debt, it is important they work with a lawyer they can trust to advise them properly. An attorney may suggest arbitration with an appointed arbitrator in order to move the process along. Negotiating is usually a time-consuming activity, as there will undoubtedly be back and forth from both sides. If you ultimately decide against their final offer, your case will go to trial. At this point, it’s not unreasonable that two years have already passed!

You can ensure your chances of the most successful outcome by working with attorneys who have a strong track record of wins. Consult with one of our attorneys for a free initial consultation. After listening to the details surrounding your personal injury occurrence, he or she will openly give you advice on how to proceed based on their experience.

Our offices are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week so regardless of what time your accident occurs we're available to help.

Contact A Lawyer
Minimize Chat End Chat